Sunday, May 07, 2006

This skin I'm in

Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart
~ Kahlil Gibran~





This Birthday suit of mine
never seems to fit quite right

I'm always tugging here
and smoothing there

Once when I was very sure of myself
it was as if I had grown
and my arms and legs were much too short

Once when I was selfish
it was I that had shrunk
and all was loosed and hanging
so improperly

I am at once either too fat
too thin
too broad in the shoulders
too narrow in the hips

What I wouldn't give for a decent tailor
and quality fabric
as if I could make a return
and get a refund

for this skin I'm in.







You know I can't remember the last time you told me I was beautiful, in an honest way, spontaneusly pouring out some compliment about my hips or my legs or the outfit I happened to be wearing. I understand not all of us are made to be attractive, but love can increase the virtue of that which is desired. I have found this so myself many times.

Have I no merit?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home