Saturday, June 03, 2006

Untitled and unashamed... sort of

I'm sitting with one foot crossed behind the other
at a pot luck where I have been rewarded with potato salad
and a paper cup with those little paper handles that look like circles
but never have the strength to hold anything.

It's the perfect pose you know,
as long as I sit still
you see, when I move I find that my plate has leaked through the bottom
and stained my dress,
the one my grandmother has given me.

So, still as a photograph I sit
watching the other people wander about
with their potato salad and paper cups
and I think to myself, the wisdom I have learned
seems to be leaking out the bottom of the cup
I've put it in
and now is dripping conspicuously down my arm.

So, I'm constantly having to relearn
what I think I've already learned
long ago. Or maybe it's that I refuse to learn
what I should have learned
long ago.

In any case I delicately stand
with the stain on my lap and liquid dripping
down the course of my arm
to my elbow
and no napkin to save me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home