Monday, June 06, 2005

Your account just might be overdrawn

Lately Morgan and I have been disscussing this pervading idea in our culture of treating love as if it were currency.
That you only get so much love in your lifetime and need to be careful how you use it.
That If you are good, you are given a lot of love.
That if you are bad, you are not not.
That if you chose to love one you cannot love another, because your love for another would somehow negate your love for the one.

Love is not to be used as or compared to money. There is not a vault in Fort Knox with all of the country's love tucked away nicely and neatly.
This concept can be especially frustrating among religious folks as I cannot reconcile this cultural belief with the God of my understanding.

Love is patient.
Love is kind.
Love does not envy.
Love does not boast.
Love is not proud.
Love is not rude.
Love is not selfish.
Love is not easily angered.
Love keeps no record of wrongs.
Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love then, to my mind is a verb. An action. A lifestyle.
Love then, is a way of treating the people around you. Not simply the feelings produced by Eros or Phileo. A committed way of looking at and acting among all of creation.

Love then, is Agape.

I am loving you today. I am hoping that you will let me love you today.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Paradoxical Pariah said...

I grew up always being denied love, I came to feel that love was contingent on other factors, so that I was always afraid and wondering when there would be no more of it through my fault. I still can get caught in a mindset that says, I need to be good enough, sexy enough, smart enough...Sometimes I still "feel" so undeserving. I want more and more to grow toward freedom in loving, what a beautiful thought. :)

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home