Friday, August 19, 2005

Riddle Me This

"Tell me why you want to be a writer."

"Because I like telling a good story."

"What bullshit. I like telling jokes, that doesn't mean I want to be a comedian. Think about what you're saying and don't waste my time with the answer."

"Because words, like art or music can make you feel.

Because words are sustenance and I want to feed you.

Because in all the letters in the alphabet there is an infinite power to dream.

Because when I was a child, words were spoken, but never to me.

Because like a starling, trapped in a cage, I no longer wish to live in my self-imposed prison of silence.

Because sometimes, 'The fish is just the fish. The man is just the man, and the sea is just the sea.' and...

Because I love telling a good story."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA!

Perfect answer. I might have to steal this and reprint it - with your express written consent, of course.

Keep up the work.

11:17 PM  
Blogger The Paradoxical Pariah said...

Matt,

Did you get the Hemingway quote?

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, now I did. I missed it the first time.

I went over a lot of Hemingway during my last semester, and that was one of the things that I found entertaining about him.

1:32 PM  
Blogger The Paradoxical Pariah said...

Me too! I have always found literary analysis a necessary evil. To find something profound that speaks to you on another level is a gift, but, I wonder how many times we put meaning into something that was ment to be simple.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home